A small pen size flash memory device integrated with USB (Universal Serial Bus) interface offering easy, fast and reliable way for storing and transferring digital files.
· Portable: small, compact plug and play making it fit it into the hand.
· Non-volatile storage: Contents are rewritable and does not lose its content even when removed from the USB port.
· Storage capacity: available up to 512 GB and steadily incrementing in capacity and size.
· Compatibility: advanced pen drives are compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux etc.
· Transfer rate: varies between 5 MBPS to 60 MBPS or more depending upon the vendor.
· Cost: one of the cheapest form of storage device.
· Transferring of files from one computer to another.
· Secure storage of audio, video, data, application software's.
· As a backup solution to store data before formatting your PC.
· Using it as a temporary RAM to improve performance of the system.
· As a booting solution to launch new operating system from pen drive.
Basic as well as advance features of pen drives.
The ubiquitous Pen drive has earned its popularity due to its exceptional storage capacity. Earlier, the pen drives were available with 8 MB storage capacity, that was several times more than other removable storage device such as floppy and CD-ROM. Recently, pen drives are available with storage capacity of 32 GB, 64 GB and 80 GB.
Technology experts are looking forward to develop pen drives with tera bytes. Before a year, the pen drives with high storage space was not popular for their high price tags. But the rapidly decreasing price has made pen drive a easily accessible device.
Compatibility is the most remarkable feature that you can find in your pen drive. The prime reason why you are using pen drive is to access the same data or information in different computers. But all computers you use may not have the same operating system to support. Most advanced pen drives are compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. Basically, while choosing a pen drive you should look for this feature to get maximum benefits out of it.
The pen drive that provides MP3 playback through earphones needs power backup. That`s why some pen drives come with built-in rechargeable batteries. The battery gets charged when connected to the USB port of the computer.
Music lovers can get their best from the MP3 player facility available with pen drives. The pen drive with MP3 player also features mini USB port, and an audio input and output.
The LCD display of pen drive has made it a high-end device. The LCD display enables browsing through the list of songs that you store in pen drive.
Camera is one of the most advanced features that are available with a pen drive. Basically, it is a still camera for a generic use. But when the pen drive is connected to the USB port of a computer, it functions as a web cam.